[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31652: Drag/Drop Ordering of Media Does Not Work in Chrome on touch enabled devices

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 11 03:58:43 UTC 2016

#31652: Drag/Drop Ordering of Media Does Not Work in Chrome on touch enabled
devices
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dan.rossiter     |       Owner:  adamsilverstein
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  assigned
  needs-testing              |
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------------

Comment (by adamsilverstein):

 Replying to [comment:20 azaozz]:
 > Re-testing it again and thinking I'd rather not have these thumbnails
 draggable/sortable at all on a phone.

 Thanks for reviewing. Good point, for small screens drag and drop could
 make using the gallery harder, although its still probably useful on
 larger screen phones.

 The real issue is with touch screen devices with much larger screens that
 take input by mouse or touch (or stylus), such as many recent windows
 laptops or the iPad pro (these are becoming more common apparently). Our
 current code does not enable sortable for gallery items for //any touch
 enabled devices//, making the gallery //unsortable by mouse or touch// on
 these devices. [attachment:31652.diff] addresses this issue alone (can you
 please test that one as well?). Maybe we can also skip sortable here for
 small viewports using JS to detect the viewport size?

 >  I was hoping we can stop using jquery-touch-punch as it is a 5 years
 old quick hack for jQuery UI Mouse to somewhat make it work on touch
 devices.

 Isn't Touch Punch required to add touch event support for jQuery UI for
 now? If anything touch devices of all sizes are becoming way more common.

 As for [attachment:31652.2.diff]  and the removal of the wp_is_mobile
 check: the problem with relying on `wp_is_mobile` here is that it is
 USER_AGENT specific and includes ipads and possibly other devices with
 large screens and alternate input methods where drag and drop does work
 well. Touch Punch already includes feature detection and will bail early
 on non-touch devices. This deserves some testing across a variety of
 devices... I have a hunch this will be helpful for users who currently
 cannot sort galleries on their devices.

 > A proper fix would probably be to show arrow buttons in the middle of
 the thumbnails.

 This is a great idea and could work similar to the move links on menus,
 this would make it much easier to manage galleries for smaller screens.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31652#comment:21>