[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Oct 9 20:58:54 UTC 2016

#35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the
Customizer
-----------------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions             |       Owner:  johnregan3
     Type:  feature request              |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by westonruter):

 I also left a several comments as well. A few highlights:

 * I think we should just re-use the core `textarea` control and skip
 trying to add line numbers. A line number gutter reduces the overall width
 in precious horizontal real estate. We can let an eventual CodeMirror or
 some other real editor library provide that UI instead.
 * The `validate_balanced_characters` method is going to need to be more
 robust to account for the characters appearing in string literals
 ([https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-develop/pull/154#discussion_r82528441
 comment]).
 * Switch to only create the `custom_css` posts when there is actually data
 being saved. No need to create these posts if there is no custom CSS
 * Move the registration of the custom post type to
 `create_initial_post_types()` instead of from the `WP_Custom_CSS` class.
 Actually, I'm not sure about the best place to add CPT registration and
 also the filters that customize its behavior. In the past I think the norm
 for CPTs has been to add new global functions and add the filters in
 `default-filters.php`. But is a practice we should continue?

 See full review: https://github.com/xwp/wordpress-
 develop/pull/154#pullrequestreview-3430614

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35395#comment:62>