[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 5 13:56:16 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing ux-feedback           |

Comment (by folletto):

 After a quick chat with @celloexpressions to evaluate technical hurdles,
 we figured out that the current structure doesn't allow for the above,
 more streamlined and better accessible approach. So here's the current
 goal for the ticket:

 1. The [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/37661
 /customizer-theme-showcase-i3b.png i3b] design above is still the
 reference.
 2. Due to technical limitations, we'll use the
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/37661/customizer-theme-
 showcase-alt-selectors.png checkbox variation] above but exclusively
 inside the filters.
 3. The considerations above still apply.

 Future:

 * We should have a solid, accessible version of the "checkbox block", that
 could be reused across different screens in Customizer.
 * We should then converge this screen using checkbox only as the variation
 just above.
 * Note also that in the future we'll have to fix the .org API to allow
 both filters and search terms, solving the ugly workaround we had to do
 above. That would also be better if it *started* from a design, instead of
 mapping around technical boundaries as we're doing here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:72>