[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 3 18:49:53 UTC 2016

#35395: Provide a better gateway for code-based theme customizations with the
Customizer
-----------------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions             |       Owner:  johnregan3
     Type:  feature request              |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * keywords:  has-screenshots needs-patch dev-feedback => has-screenshots
     needs-patch

Comment:

 Thanks for this @folletto!

 I think most of these suggestions will be best as future enhancements,
 which can continue to improve the base experience piece by piece. To help
 get there, we could keep the code editor as a separate customizer control
 for now rather than going back to the textarea control, and possibly work
 on the height issue in 4.7.

 I'd rather not do a custom section for this, so what about adding a
 `description_hidden` attribute to `WP_Customize_Section` that puts the
 description behind the icon like panel descriptions do? That would be
 useful for any sections that have larger descriptions. I'm going to leave
 the final call in terms of what should happen in 4.7 vs. future up to
 @johnregan3 since he's actually implementing it.

 In the meantime, we also need to refine the help text and the external
 links. Are there any better resources on .org than the codex article on
 CSS? Should we create a handbook page that can be fleshed out over time?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35395#comment:53>