[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 1 00:04:30 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing ux-feedback           |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Yes it is unfortunately quite different (and took quite some time to re-
 build), which is why we needed to compromise on some of the elements like
 sliding panels that aren't actual sections. However, most of the previous
 accessibility-oriented fixes are still relevant and in place.

 - There aren't any instances of `aria-owns` in the patch, so you're
 probably seeing something old that should be removed, where is it? Or that
 might be something related to #34391.
 - I don't think we've been particularly careful about exactly how the
 elements within the `<ul>`s are structured within customize panels in the
 past but if it's an issue for accessibility we should be able to adjust
 them fairly easily. If you could point out specific instances it would be
 easier to address.
 - In terms of the duplicate ids from theme controls, that was in the
 previous patches as well, and could be changed to prefix the controls with
 their section action, as is done elsewhere in the patch.
 - I don't think there's anything we can really do to make infinite scroll
 easier to navigate through here, right? Users will need to tab back to the
 beginning to get to the navigation for any infinite scroll area.
 - They're designed to look like section headings, with these particular
 sections expanding primarily in the full-width themes area instead of
 sliding in the controls. @folletto and @karmatosed can elaborate here, but
 it seems that this is the best approach given what the .org API enables
 and is clearer than the top filter bar that the previous patch used.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:64>