[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38945: Menu customizer : adding a term item to a menu creates a fatal error when previewing the changeset

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Nov 26 08:44:19 UTC 2016

#38945: Menu customizer : adding a term item to a menu creates a fatal error when
previewing the changeset
 Reporter:  nikeo         |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize     |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 '''Configuration'''
 - Version of WP : 4.7 RC1-39355
 - Browser : Chrome
 - PHP Version : 7.0.11
 - MySQL Version : 5.5.52

 '''Here's how to reproduce the problem :'''
 1. Open the customizer
 2. Expand the menu section
 3. Click on an existing menu or create a new one ( it makes no differences
 )
 4. Then click on `add item` and pick a term, either a category or a tag
 5. Select a location for this menu if not already done

 The javascript console show an error message (see attachment 1 )

 Then when refreshing the browser, like if I was coming back to my
 customized changeset, the following fatal error message is displayed ( see
 attachment 2 ) :
 `Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to
 string in /srv/www/wp-betas/htdocs/wp-includes/formatting.php on line
 3767`

 It seems that a string passed to `esc_url()` function at some point (when
 ?) is actually a WP_Error object.