[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 7 20:32:43 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |

Comment (by helen):

 Replying to [comment:125 westonruter]:
 > @helen Can the revert be reverted if patches for the outstanding issues
 get included?

 No - if this were a matter of problems that have defined solutions already
 then the course of action would not have been a revert. I know that it
 would feel better to have something more than "my gut (and the guts of
 others) say no", but if there was more definition to the problems then we
 may not have been in a position where reverting from this release was the
 only sane thing to do.

 There will always be bugs during beta - you can see bugs and problems with
 plenty of other things that are still in trunk, but for the most part they
 are defined problems with defined solutions or at least directions, and
 those that aren't are also still at risk of being pulled from the release.
 And beyond the issue of what exactly the problems are or aren't, there is
 the matter of what project and release priorities are. My priority for
 this release is and always has been the site set up process '''starting
 after the point where a theme has been chosen'''. Finding a theme is and
 remains a large problem that goes beyond figuring out where to go in the
 admin to install new ones, and if we have to punt this feature from this
 particular release, I think that's what makes sense for this project.

 We need to be able to disagree about process and decisions without losing
 productivity in other areas, which is happening here. I do not want to put
 more time into this for 4.7 because it does not make sense given the whole
 view, which is another part of why I did not artificially delay the
 revert.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:129>