[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 3 19:54:55 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |
Changes (by helen):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 After living with this for a while and collecting some informal direct
 feedback from some design-minded folks, I'm not finding this to be a
 polished and compelling enough experience to ship, and given the general
 direction and timeline of 4.7 along with the underlying non-core issue of
 how you find themes in the first place, I don't think it makes sense to
 prioritize polishing this over other places where the same people are
 involved.

 I think we should revert this from 4.7 and get some more specific design
 and usability feedback documented to get that worked on and try this again
 in 4.8. Generally, the shape of the feedback that I've gotten and my own
 observations have been that the sidebar filtering UI doesn't feel right
 and is buggy in practice (see #38365 for an existing report, though there
 are more issues), the checkmark thing just doesn't make sense, and that
 the full-screen plus reload experience doesn't end up feeling so much
 better than going in and out of the existing admin screen to forgive the
 rough edges. This is certainly not a fun call to make, and I wish I could
 offer more specific suggestions that would make it more viable to keep,
 but I just don't see keeping this as a realistic option at this time.

 Would like to hear from others besides @celloexpressions at this point,
 though I know I am representing many it does currently appear to be a one-
 on-one disagreement, so any further feedback in either direction would be
 very valuable right now. In the meantime, I am going to take a look at
 what reverting takes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:113>