[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27403: Improve UI for linking areas of Customizer preview to corresponding controls (desktop and mobile)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 2 19:47:16 UTC 2016

#27403: Improve UI for linking areas of Customizer preview to corresponding
controls (desktop and mobile)
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter  |       Owner:  sirbrillig
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by paaljoachim):

 The difficult part here is see the design as it is vs see icons to where
 one can edit a section.

 Having a toggle on/off by clicking inside the window well we were not able
 to think of another way of doing this.
 I am a bit worried that a lot of people will think that the issue that
 John brought up "....I saw some edit buttons appear for a moment and then
 disappear." is a glitch in the customizer. That can create confusion.

 We need to think further....

 Ok the customizer will someday be a site editor where one can edit areas
 on the frontend. Will one then click an edit button and have icons all
 over the frontend? Then click the (pre)view button to view the site? We
 need to think of this aspect as well. How will the customizer interact
 with the site while on the frontend? What is the most natural ui for this?
 If we can some of these thoughts back to where the customizer edit vs
 design is right now I think we can see a better solution. Something that
 can actually go into the future.

 Btw here is one of Folletto's wireframes used for the theme switcher (so
 yes it is out of context):
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/31289/customizer-
 themeswitcher-i2-structural.png I am sharing it because it shows a preview
 button. If that is the right approach for showing a preview I do not know.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27403#comment:101>