[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38365: Selecting another theme feature filter requires to wait until a previous request has finished

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 2 01:22:45 UTC 2016

#38365: Selecting another theme feature filter requires to wait until a previous
request has finished
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90                  |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * owner:   => celloexpressions
 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 It makes sense to me to add a way to queue up a "next request" that fires
 as soon as the current Ajax call is returned, and contains the most recent
 set of filters at any given time (maybe call the variable
 `pendingRequest`, that part isn't too important). The current theme-
 feature filter added later on top of that, so there wasn't a need for a
 queue concept initially (and we also had the apply button before the
 redesign).

 Canceling the current request would be the best approach, but I'm not sure
 whether that's feasible here from a technical perspective. It would
 presumably happen on the JS side. We should also keep in mind that these
 queries go to WordPress.org, so we can anticipate them taking a bit longer
 than a regular Ajax call that goes to the site's server and right back
 without that added step.

 Assigning to myself to work on at the end of the week; if anyone else is
 able to put together a patch before that please go ahead, and please also
 confirm that everyone's okay with keeping the existing UI as-is and
 queuing the latest request to update after a current call is returned to
 fix the bug here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38365#comment:12>