[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #5130: Linking to multiple posts on your site breaks pingback due to comment flooding

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 14 06:16:52 UTC 2016

#5130: Linking to multiple posts on your site breaks pingback due to comment
flooding
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  Denis-de-Bernardy  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by dshanske):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => has-patch

Comment:

 The proposed patch passes the full comment data to the comment_flood hook
 so the flood handling function can handle checking against multiple pings
 to the same URL as a flood and passes the comment type to the throttle
 filter to allow for different limits to be set based on comment type.

 As commented on #25141, there are a number of possible solutions to the
 problem of multiple pings being received at the same time, either from the
 same site or a third-party and how it best be handled may be user
 preference.

 At this time, being as we haven't reached a conclusion in nearly a decade
 since this was first reported, I'm suggesting we add support for plugins
 to address this externally and for possible future handling within Core
 itself.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5130#comment:17>