[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36733: Use a custom customizer section for add-widgets and add-menu-items panels, making this UI pattern reusable in plugins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 2 07:29:06 UTC 2016

#36733: Use a custom customizer section for add-widgets and add-menu-items panels,
making this UI pattern reusable in plugins
------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize         |    Version:  3.9
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+----------------------------
 I've been thinking for a long time about how to make the add widgets/add
 menu items slide-out panel UI reusable for plugins. What if we restructure
 them as a custom section, with child section classes (or full-section
 custom controls) for widgets and menus that handle the actual UI?

 In the case of widget and menus we would hide top-level UI from the panel
 and display it in every section (as it already is, likely just changing
 the button to invoke the custom section's expand method). For the base
 custom section that could be the UI of the section. There are several
 potential benefits to restructuring the menus and widgets code in the
 context of a section and control, in addition to finally abstracting the
 sliding frame UI for third party usage.

 Note that the menus code originated as a copy-paste from widgets, so they
 should be similar enough to be abstracted off of a common base section,
 but there are discrepancies that have evolved over time.