[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36364: Change the heading H3 to H2 of 'Leave a Reply’, comment_form() for the accessibility

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 29 19:26:54 UTC 2016

#36364: Change the heading H3 to H2 of 'Leave a Reply’, comment_form() for the
accessibility
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  kassy000     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by joedolson):

 This isn't really a simple solution. The H3 was only wrong because of the
 context it was in within your theme -- because the previous heading was an
 H1, H3 was a problem. However, if the prior heading was an H2, it would
 have been perfectly correct.

 Either option here can cause problems; it just depends on which set of
 problems it will cause. Currently, it's likely to cause problems with
 themes that use an H1 for their primary post heading; with this change, it
 would work fine for those, but cause problems with themes using an H2 or
 lower for their post heading.

 On that point, I'm fairly indifferent to whether this changes in core.
 However, I will observe that changing core HTML output has a lot of impact
 on how people's sites will render, and I'm not sure this change would be
 worth causing that impact.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36364#comment:5>