[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35022: WP allows Unicode 0x00a0 spaces in editor but shortcode parser can't handle them

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 17 20:44:26 UTC 2016

#35022: WP allows Unicode 0x00a0 spaces in editor but shortcode parser can't handle
them
 Reporter:  steevithak    |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by steevithak):

 Great, this just got more complicated. I found the problem causing the
 mis-parsing of the first attribute following a shortcode with a non-
 breaking space (the problem @boonebgorges refers to in comment:3). It
 looks like some other part of Wordpress (not shortcodes.php) is unable to
 identify the shortcodes as shortcodes, so it's doing some sort conversion
 of quote characters into fancy Unicode quote characters. So instead of
 [shortcode foo="1,2,3"], it gets corrupted into [shortcode foo=”1,2,3″].
 Once that happens, the regexes in shortcodes.php mis-parse the parameters
 list in a way that causes at least the first one to be lost. Even with
 code added in shortcodes.php to remove the non-breaking space within the
 shortcode, it's still broken because of the quotes. I don't know where in
 WP the quote-mangling code might be found, so the best I can think of is
 to modify the shortcode parser to handle Unicode as well as ASCII quote
 characters. Any other ideas?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35022#comment:16>