[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for sidebars/widgets (for now)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 17 19:04:30 UTC 2016

#35855: Let selective refresh component be required but be opt-in for
sidebars/widgets (for now)
----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture    |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by MH Themes):

 I think making it opt-out (at least in case of WP 4.5) is a no-go and
 would cause quite a mess as this will potentially break thousands of
 themes and possibly many theme authors won't have this on their radar at
 the moment and implementing also takes time. If this is being considered,
 then it would probably make sense to at least wait until 4.6 and ensure
 that this is extensively announced (and educated) so that theme developers
 have time to dig into this and make necessary changes.

 Especially in case of widgets this can have quite an impact. Widgets can
 basically do anything and there are lots of scenarios where widgets won't
 be compatible anymore out of the box. I think this is different to the
 previous nav menus implementation, as widgets can be much more complex.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35855#comment:40>