[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak and maybe other keyboards

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 14 20:15:40 UTC 2016

#35932: Square brackets for shortcodes can't be entered with default Czech, Slovak
and maybe other keyboards
 Reporter:  thomask      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  reopened
  (bug)                  |   Milestone:

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:9 thomask]:
 > I hate this "works for me" from north americans...

 Ugh, bad attitude won't help, especially here on trac (I'm actually from
 Europe, my first language is not English).

 > 1. CTRL+ALT equals RIGHT ALT (at least on windows)

 No. Right Alt emulates AltGr on some keyboard layouts, and Ctrl+Alt may
 emulate AltGr too. That is for using US keyboards (hardware) with
 languages other than English. The fact that Right Alt is seen by the
 browsers as Ctrl+Alt is not proper. More info about AltGr and the history
 there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key.

 > 2. RIGHT ALT + some characters are used in many languages...

 Right, that's why most of the custom TinyMCE shortcuts that we add use
 `Shift + Alt + letter` (on Windows).

 Also, as I mentioned above the Full Screen shortcut comes from the
 [https://github.com/tinymce/tinymce/blob/master/js/tinymce/plugins/fullscreen/plugin.js#L107
 TinyMCE 'fullscreen' plugin]. It has nothing to do with WordPress. You can
 open an issue there if it needs changing, however keep in mind that it
 appears to be working properly for most of the (English and non English)
 users.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35932#comment:10>