[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33580: Having xdebug enabled causes wordpress tests to hang because bootstrap.php calls php directly using system()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Mar 6 22:22:20 UTC 2016

#33580: Having xdebug enabled causes wordpress tests to hang because bootstrap.php
calls php directly using system()
 Reporter:  aussieguy123                         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by JPry):

 * keywords:  needs-patch needs-testing => needs-patch needs-testing
     reporter-feedback

Comment:

 Replying to [ticket:33580 aussieguy123]:

 > To reproduce the bug, make sure `xdebug.remote_enable=1` and that xdebug
 is configured to connect back to your ide (`xdebug.remote_connect_back=1`
 `xdebug.remote_host=x.x.x.x`).

 > When this system line is called from phpunit and you have xdebug
 listening in your IDE (I use PHPStorm), phpunit will hang.

 > I'm not sure what happens internally with xdebug to cause this, its
 possible that the php process spawned by system() conflicts with the
 previous one. You only get the error if the IDE is listening.

 PHPStorm has the ability to define how many XDebug connections at once it
 can accept. The default is one, but you can set it to a higher number if
 needed (I use 3). I believe that this is configurable with the "Max.
 simultaneous connections" setting. If you adjust that setting to a higher
 number, are you able to intercept the second PHP connection and prevent
 the process from hanging?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/33580#comment:2>