[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32358: Add unminified jQuery to core for better debugging with SCRIPT_DEBUG enabled

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 29 11:43:17 UTC 2016

#32358: Add unminified jQuery to core for better debugging with SCRIPT_DEBUG
enabled
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  CrazyJaco                           |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request                     |      Status:  assigned
                                                |     Focuses:
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:21 dotancohen]:
 > Replying to [comment:20 iandunn]:
 > > I don't think that's always true; sometimes I run into situations
 during plugin development where I get errors like `TypeError: n is
 undefined`. Knowing the real variable name and line number would give some
 insight into the underlying problem.

 > This is what brought me here. One cannot debug without knowing exactly
 where the error was thrown. The minified versions obscure that
 information, specifically the line number and the variable names.

 And what would you do next after knowing the line number and eventually
 the var name? Look at the trace to see which of your functions called
 jQuery of course. I bet the error will always be in your function not in
 the library.

 And what is stopping you do the same when jQuery in minified? Well,
 nothing really. The trace is the part you really want/need to debug it :)

 > That will compress to well below 100 KiB. Adding 100 KiB to the 7.4 MiB
 (zipped) or 6.8 MiB (tarball) Wordpress 4.4.2 is beyond negligible.

 Not true in principle. Why would you want to force 20,000,000 - 30,000,000
 people to download these ~100k every time WordPress is updated? (Leaving
 the "terabytes of wasted bandwidth" calculation out.)

 I don't mind adding the non-minified jQuery to /src. Still think it is
 mostly pointless. The only user case is when somebody hits a bug in it at
 which point they can probably download the non-minified version and
 replace the file in their test install. We can save them the 2-3 min that
 would usually take.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32358#comment:23>