[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37040: Enhancement: new function to validate a transient exists, and isn't expired without extra query

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 6 23:34:53 UTC 2016

#37040: Enhancement: new function to validate a transient exists, and isn't expired
without extra query
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  danieliser          |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
Component:  Options, Meta APIs  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  performance         |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Currently calling get_transient makes 2 queries, the first to validate if
 the transient exists & is not expired, the second to get the transient
 value.

 I propose creating a new function that does the job of the first query
 only. It should validate that the transient exists and hasn't expired
 returning a boolean.

 The get_transient should then be modified to call that function rather
 than get_option.

 The purpose here is to allow plugin / theme developers to minimize queries
 even further.

 Example: If all I need to do is check for a valid transient that only
 requires 1 query, I don't always need the value, just need to know whether
 it should be refreshed.

 In that case I could call valid_transient( 'transient' ).

 Since that value can be cached if I later need the full value then only
 one additional query would be needed.