[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21414: Use the "Keyboard Shortcuts" checkbox in the user profile to turn on/off all custom shortcuts

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 6 22:21:20 UTC 2016

#21414: Use the "Keyboard Shortcuts" checkbox in the user profile to turn on/off
all custom shortcuts
---------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz                     |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  enhancement                |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by azaozz):

 The discussion so far:
 - We resolved (nearly?) all of the conflicts with the Visual editor
 shortcuts.
 - It will be really good to let the users disable certain shortcuts,
 especially for accessibility / screen reader users.
 - The setting should not be in Screen Options as "they are about the
 display of the screen".
 - We shouldn't have only one setting for all shortcuts.
 - It "makes sense to add an option in profile/personal settings near the
 existing ones for comments".

 Conclusion: we should add another checkbox (probably) after the "Enable
 keyboard shortcuts for comment moderation. More information" on the
 Profile page, on by default, to control the extra editor shortcuts we add
 to TinyMCE.

 One "side" question is if we should disable only the shortcuts we are
 adding, or all custom shortcuts like Alt+Shift+F for fullscreen, and leave
 only the default OS shortcuts like Cmd/Ctrl+C (copy), Cmd/Ctrl+V (paste),
 etc.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21414#comment:13>