[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37444: Missing category.php produces 'Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference' when falling back on archive.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 23 13:36:00 UTC 2016

#37444: Missing category.php produces 'Strict Standards: Only variables should be
passed by reference' when falling back on archive.php
 Reporter:  crs1138       |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes        |    Version:  4.5.3
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  template      |
 When using TwentySixteen and TwentyFifteen themes, I was getting following
 error when I try to access any of the categories archive pages:

 Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /xxx/xxx
 /wp-includes/theme-compat/category.php(29) : runtime-created function on
 line 1

 However these category archives worked fine on previous themes (TwentyTen,
 TwentyEleven, etc.). I compared these and noticed that category.php wasn't
 present in the newer themes. In such case WP should fall back on to
 archive.php according to the Template Hierarchy. I tried to create
 category.php and copy&pasted the code from archive.php which resolved the
 problem. I believe this is a bug in WP and I did not find any mention of
 this issue anywhere else.