[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31751: Using PgDn and PgUp keyboard keys in the editor scrolls both post edit box and the whole viewport

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 18 21:05:27 UTC 2016

#31751: Using PgDn and PgUp keyboard keys in the editor scrolls both post edit box
and the whole viewport
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810     |       Owner:

Comment (by adamsilverstein):

 > They're useless in WordPress, a major piece of software now powering a
 huge chunk of the Internet. If browsers scroll down natively when you
 press it even if you're in an edit field, that's a usability issue that
 should be fixed. That's my opinion on this matter.

 I agree these keys are currently useless in Chrome - I discovered in
 testing the firefox is a bit different: it will let you scroll an inner
 area without scrolling the page, if the inner area has a scroll bar - this
 makes page up/down more useful in firefox.

 I agree this is a bad user experience: my point is that this is a browser
 issue, not a WordPress issue. Trying to address it in WordPress will only
 make it behave differently than every other site, possibly confusing
 users. Maybe some users have grown to expect the page up/down will work on
 the page?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31751#comment:12>