[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 19 10:50:20 UTC 2016

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |

Comment (by virgodesign):

 Hi to everyone,
 I've attached 4 screenshots to share some thoughts about how Theme
 Customizer should be from my point of view. I hope the screenshots are
 clear, I tried to do my best with photoshop.
 In my opinion the user experience needs to be improved, giving a better
 integration with the customizer ui in general. The starting “themes”
 button in customizer should be similar to the other section buttons (1).
 The current active theme should be placed to the left, within the
 customizer panel. Below the current active theme should be placed a toggle
 button to open/close the "Theme Details" informations (2). The screenshot
 number 3 shows an example of the active theme together with the “theme
 details” shown below.
 In the right side of the there is the installed themes with some little
 changes that improves the readability of the frame (2). Clicking the "Add
 new" button should open the "Add new Themes" panel.
 I've added some red labels to highlight some important changes.
 The "Add new themes" screenshot needs a back button to return back to the
 installed themes, and, I think that the background color should be white,
 to contrast the light gray of the customizer panel.
 I hope this thoughts could be useful to improves the customizer themes
 user experience.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:143>