[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37824: Add a bookmarklet to edit posts – a "Press This" for quickly editing posts when not logged in

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 25 12:27:40 UTC 2016

#37824: Add a bookmarklet to edit posts – a "Press This" for quickly editing posts
when not logged in
 Reporter:  akibjorklund  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui            |
 If you are logged into WordPress, the admin toolbar lets you easily edit
 the currently viewed page or post. But if you are not logged in, you have
 to take a lot more steps:

 1. Edit the URL on the address bar of the browser by adding “/login” or
 “/wp-admin” after the domain name. Or, find a bookmark or a link that will
 get you to the login screen.
 2. Log in to get to the dashboard.
 4. Refresh the page.
 5. Click the Edit Post link on the toolbar.

 I've created [https://h1.fi/2015/edit-this-bookmarklet-for-wordpress/ (a
 bookmarklet)] to skip most of the steps. (See the blog post for more
 details.) It saves me a lot of time every day.

 I think something like this could be integrated into core. Natural place
 for it would be on the Tools page next to Press This.

 The only flaw of my implementation is that it will not work if WordPress
 is installed anywhere else than to /wp-admin/ of the current site. This
 could be fixed by making WordPress print out a meta tag with the location
 of admin or even the current page's edit url – which would make the logic
 inside the bookmarklet even simpler.