[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36591: discourage the setting of the offset in the options and that way always have a timezone string in options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 19 13:21:18 UTC 2016

#36591: discourage the setting of the offset in the options and that way always
have a timezone string in options
 Reporter:  pbearne       |       Owner:

Comment (by stephenharris):

 I've tried (2) before - and it doesn't really work, largely because of
 DST. Also - what do you map it to? Does WordPress core decide? What if a
 timezone changes in between releases (edge case, I know).

 I think (1) could work, so long as we keep the currently selected version
 (so as to ensure updating the settings page doesn't change their settings
 without them opting to change to a string timezone).

 Then, the only loss of functionality is if you switch from an offset, you
 can't switch back to an offset.

 As a third option: remove them only for new installs.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/36591#comment:3>