[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21038: Provide an option for creating 2x images of user content (for Retina Displays)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 18 06:13:43 UTC 2015

#21038: Provide an option for creating 2x images of user content (for Retina
Displays)
-------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  twam               |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  feature request    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by markoheijnen):

 I'm unsure about adding this at all and at this stage.

 The first thing I believe that most users will not care much about it. If
 it will be a theme support then this should rather be a plugin since most
 users will not do it. That said I do expect that users will notice the
 difference in quality. Looking at WP Retina 2x) with 100k active installs.

 Handling images is really tricky and the way WordPress handles isn't
 optimized for disk space. Since a lot of our users are on shared hosts,
 not having a cleanup mechanisme could easily become a danger to get the
 disk space to full. Specially since this images aren't small ones. I
 rather look at what we could do in this area first. We could see what we
 can do for #15311 which would be step 1.

 I would disagree with @TigrouMeow that it isn't complex for CDN since the
 urls will be different. Also no extra screen should be required. Using the
 srcset should make things much easier.

 Side note:
 For my sites I switched to Thumbor (python image server because it makes
 things so much easier. Currently it auto detects .webp but I could easily
 just drop all sizes in a picture element. If wanted you could build in
 support for delivering retina images. Since it has it's own cache, it will
 clean things up and regenerate if needed. Obviously this isn't for the
 average WP user but I support for retina could be describe in the same
 way.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21038#comment:29>