[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34422: Remove 'post_status' => 'publish' argument from WP_Query args of the Recent Posts widget

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 24 01:48:20 UTC 2015

#34422: Remove 'post_status' => 'publish' argument from WP_Query args of the Recent
Posts widget
-------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  alexvorn2    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 > I think we need to remove this because the default value of the
 post_status argument for WP_Query is already publish.

 This is not entirely true. If you don't pass a `post_status` value to
 `WP_Query`, a couple different things could happen. If you're logged in,
 and looking at an archive, you'll get posts with `post_status=publish` as
 well as your own non-public posts. If you're in the admin, you'll
 sometimes get more than just 'publish' posts. And you'll always get posts
 from public post statuses other than `publish`. The `WP_Query` codex page
 spells this out fairly well. Making the change you suggest would result in
 a change in behavior in some of these circumstances.

 In addition, the fact that we currently pass the `post_status` argument to
 the `widget_post_args` filter means that we can't easily remove it -
 callbacks will expect `post_status` to be set.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34422#comment:1>