[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34336: Disable XML-RPC system.multicall authenticated requests on the first auth failure

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 16 22:42:33 UTC 2015

#34336: Disable XML-RPC system.multicall authenticated requests on the first auth
failure
--------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  XML-RPC       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch needs-testing
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Recently [https://blog.sucuri.net/2015/10/brute-force-amplification-
 attacks-against-wordpress-xmlrpc.html Securi published a post] about a
 Brute Force Amplification Attack affecting WordPress by using
 `system.multicall`.

 WordPress should cause XML-RPC authentication to fail on all subsequent
 `multicall` calls silently to prevent this attack being viable against
 WordPress.

 The attached patch implements this suggestion, and although it breaks the
 XML-RPC spec I think we should enforce this.
 Multiple user authentications are still possible when using
 `system.multicall`, the only catch is that once one fails authentication,
 all the further attempts will also fail.