[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34196: Add image size between Medium and Large to better take advantage of Responsive Image support

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 7 19:05:26 UTC 2015

#34196: Add image size between Medium and Large to better take advantage of
Responsive Image support
-------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DH-Shredder  |       Owner:  DH-Shredder
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by moonomo):

 Replying to [ticket:34196 DH-Shredder]:
 > Responsive Image support for core landed in [34855].
 >
 > As part of the discussion before it was approved for merge, it was
 brought up that it would benefit heavily from having a new image size
 between `medium` and `large`.

 > Current recommendations from the responsive images team include either:
 > * A static size between 760 and 800 width (we'll need a a name for it)
 > * A size called "content-width" that is the size of the $content-width
 of the theme that generates it.

 > The second would be the most accurate and effective, but has the
 downside of a potential expectation from core between theme changes.

 Earlier this year I've spent couple of month setting up responsive images
 for my theme (the same thing that the feature plugin is doing)- during the
 process I found it's best to use image size similar to the browser
 breakdown.

 From that realization, I would suggest to go with first approach- it could
 be 768px width, more or less.

--