[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32103: Customizer sanitizes data multiple times when options are served as Serialized Settings

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 3 22:45:47 UTC 2015

#32103: Customizer sanitizes data multiple times when options are served as
Serialized Settings
 Reporter:  Air.                     |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  accepted
  reporter-feedback                  |  performance

Comment (by wpweaver):

 Replying to [comment:22 westonruter]:

 > It seems like your best bet in the interim is to register your theme's
 multitude of settings using a custom setting type (not `theme_mod` or
 `option`), or by creating a new subclass of `WP_Customize_Setting`, and to
 then handle their value, preview, and update operations yourself in an
 efficient way (using a cached array) which bypasses entirely the
 performance problems in the `multidimensional` routines.

 The custom setting type won't work because the existing code has a bug in
 update that return do_action(xxx). I added a ticket for that. Has anyone
 actually tested and got a working custom type? Can't see how with that
 code there.

 And to use a subclass, you have to instantiate it, right? That happens in
 WP_Customize_Manager, and I don't have access to that, either. So I don't
 see how creating a fixed WP_Customize_Setting will help anything because I
 can't get it instantiated anywhere that I can find.

 And the multidimensional routines have nothing to do with the real problem
 - the problem is the order(n-squared) issue in creating the multiple
 filters for each setting in preview().

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32103#comment:25>