[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34308: The _n*() functions don't cater for a string that represents exactly one item

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 12 13:17:38 UTC 2015

#34308: The _n*() functions don't cater for a string that represents exactly one
item
 Reporter:  johnbillion               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:9 Otto42]:
 > But the gettext system allows you to specify more than two strings for
 Plurals already. It can handle cases where there are three or four or even
 six different ways to pluralize things just fine.

 Yes, and I used to have a fourth form in our .po files to handle this, see
 comment:5:ticket:28502.

 But I couldn't use GlotPress, because:
 * It still only had three forms recommended by the gnu.org link you
 posted.
 * Changing the Plural-Forms ruleset for Russian across all projects just
 to fix a few incorrect strings in core did not seem feasible.
 * It would also make the Plural-Forms ruleset inconsistent with
 WordPress.com GlotPress instance.
 * Other Slavic languages have similar rules, not just Russian.

 So before [31941], I still had to use Poedit to edit .po files and SVN to
 build packages.

 > So, my question is: What is the specific case where this is needed? What
 can not be accomplished currently using a Plural-Forms ruleset?

 The issues in #28502 and this ticket could indeed be accomplished by
 changing the Plural-Forms ruleset, but changing it globally just to
 account for a few edge cases is complicated for the reasons listed above.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34308#comment:10>