[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34308: The _n*() functions don't cater for a string that represents exactly one item

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 12 12:42:29 UTC 2015

#34308: The _n*() functions don't cater for a string that represents exactly one
item
 Reporter:  johnbillion               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:7 Otto42]:
 > Doesn't the plural form system used in gettext already handle this?

 Not if we make an (incorrect) assumption that `_n()` represents ''one
 item'' and ''more than one item''. It actually represents the ''singular
 form'' and the ''plural form'', and in languages that have complex plural
 structures the singular form can be used for numbers such as 21 and 31,
 not just 1.

 See comment:23:ticket:28502.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34308#comment:8>