[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32532: Add admin notification message text to array of labels when registering a custom post type

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 29 20:58:23 UTC 2015

#32532: Add admin notification message text to array of labels when registering a
custom post type
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  nathanrice         |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |     Status:  new
Component:  Posts, Post Types  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 #14827 tried to cover this, but it ended up being reduced down to a mere
 public check.

 The initial complain still stands, though. The `$messages` array only
 handles posts, pages, and media. As it is now, you can register a CPT,
 change all the labels to make sure nothing references "Post(s)" and think
 you're good to go. Then you go to save an entry, and you get an ugly "Post
 Updated. View post" message. Not at all what you would expect.

 If you want to change the messages for a CPT, you have to filter the array
 and inject them. Not terribly difficult, but it's a completely unnecessary
 step that really should be handled in the same way the labels are handled.

 I have a rough solution in place for a plugin I manage. It's not perfect,
 but it's a good example of a possible way it could be handled.

 https://github.com/copyblogger/simple-urls/blob/develop/plugin.php#L112