[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 11 05:11:26 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 other fixes for issues regarding things like the panel back arrow. Most
 notably, I added hover and focus styling, which now introduces a fair
 amount of color and contrast. In addition to making the focus states much
 clearer, I think this makes it much easier to visualize the different
 clickable regions for mouse users. I think it's important to retain some
 visual distinction between sections and panels at the top level, though,
 so I kept the two-toned approach for panels as a distinguisher. See the
 brief screencast video above.

 I should also note that I think the section heading UI needs to be on a
 white background so that it contrasts with the gray background that's now
 behind the controls in regular sections (to match the admin and make
 inputs stand out better). I think we should design it out fully for
 regular sections and panels first, then look at how we'll need to adjust
 for widgets and menus (such as adding the extra layer of hierarchy for the
 add-item panels on mobile). Still need to flesh out the breadcrumbs idea
 in terms of design, but I think that could help with preserving context.
 I'd be interested in seeing how the latest patch tests for usability, as
 well as further design thoughts now that the dust has settled around the
 theme switching components.

 Also, it looks like expanding widget controls now jumps out of the sidebar
 section - I'm having trouble locating the exact issue, but it looks
 related to the fact that much of the widget control expansion API is
 reused from the section expanded/collapsed state API. Any ideas there
 @westonruter?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:26>