[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32302: Filename policy of IMAGE_EDIT_OVERWRITE==true seems to create CDN and browser cache issues

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 8 03:23:01 UTC 2015

#32302: Filename policy of IMAGE_EDIT_OVERWRITE==true seems to create CDN and
browser cache issues
-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  aidanlane                          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                       |     Status:  new
Component:  Media                              |  Review
 Severity:  normal                             |    Version:  trunk
  Focuses:  docs, administration, performance  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Just something to check, as discussed over at https://deliciousbrains.com
 /undefined-define-image_edit_overwrite/

 It states the behaviour:
 "When you add define( 'IMAGE_EDIT_OVERWRITE', true ); to your wp-
 config.php the behaviour changes. When you edit an image, it still creates
 a new image and leaves the original image alone. '''But when you edit
 again, it overwrites the first set of images rather than create a new
 set.'''"

 My comment: "what about CDN and browser caching? If the "unique appendage"
 didn't change, then readers won't see the updated image until the cache
 expires, which for our site at least is 'forever'. If the first edit were
 to be deleted, wouldn't it be more sensible to still generate a new
 "unique appendage", rather than using the same one? But then again, that
 could break existing references to the first edit... oh my it becomes
 messy quickly!"

 Brad's reply: "Excellent point! I think you're right. When
 IMAGE_EDIT_OVERWRITE is set to true, it should create a new unique
 appendage instead of reusing the old one. You should open up a Trac ticket
 for this to be looked at and discussed."

 Are you able to provide any clarification?

 Many thanks,
 Aidan