[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32261: Security: Wordpress Admin/Backend: No Passwordlength is enforced = Big Security Risk

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 5 22:12:47 UTC 2015

#32261: Security: Wordpress Admin/Backend: No Passwordlength is enforced = Big
Security Risk
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  iamwordimpressed  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Security          |    Version:  4.2.1
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello,

 in the wordpress admin on a profile page (http://localhost/my/wp-
 admin/profile.php) when chaning the password, there is no password length
 enforced! Yes there is a passwordstrength meter. But who of normal users
 will really take care of it?

 Wordpress is more and more used as a Plattform! A lot of "normal"
 uneducated User will sing up and in (not only educated admins). We have a
 very big site in the launch and I just shockingly realized this. Every of
 the user could have set a single character as password. And there will be
 users that do this.
 Or alternativel put a BIG Wwarning with checkbox before installation, that
 every administrator ist aware of this and can fix this big security hole.
 I was not and I spent the last 6 month fulltime developing in wordpress!
 (before even looking for a solution I am writing this ticket).

 '''Please please ''enforce'' at least a passwordlength of 6 Characters.
 Never put the responsibility of security onto the user but put it by
 design into the application. everyting elese will lead to desasters.'''

 Thanks!