[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27177: Child themes should inherit parent theme customizer settings on activation / switching

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 2 05:41:39 UTC 2015

#27177: Child themes should inherit parent theme customizer settings on activation
/ switching
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  krogsgard    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by saas):

 I agree with @greenshady.

 Most likely a child theme can have it's on customizer settings. If it's
 pre-built (Genesis Framework or Theme Hybrid child themes).

 So we have two scenarios.

 A child theme with it's own (specific) customizer settings & without
 customizer settings.

 So we need to take care of both scenarios.

 Also I will second @tollmanz it happens to me sometimes as well. And its
 not pretty sight :(.

 I think by default WP should try to import parent theme customizer
 settings into child theme settings.

 Unless user specifies otherwise. (A filter which checks whether it should
 import or not, and child theme can hook into this). So it should cover the
 issue @karpstrucking highlighted.

 Also when importing, WP should provide filter, so in case child theme have
 it's own set of defaults (different from parent theme), it can override
 it.

 So two checks should be present in core functionality.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27177#comment:13>