[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32769: Customizer Menus: Setting sanitization innefficiencies resulting in severe performance slowdowns

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 23 19:15:34 UTC 2015

#32769: Customizer Menus: Setting sanitization innefficiencies resulting in severe
performance slowdowns
--------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Customize     |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  performance   |
--------------------------+-------------------------
 I have an install with 1,383 nav menu items across multiple menus. I did
 an Xdebug profiling of loading `customize.php` and I saw ~50k+ calls to
 `_wp_json_sanity_check` being made, and the time to load the customizer
 with Xdebug profiling was ~13 minutes. When I then disabled Menu
 Customizer and re-ran profiling and the number of `_wp_json_sanity_check`
 calls went down to ~3k, and the time dropped to ~1.5 minutes.

 The issue is probably closely related to #32103, and the solution may be
 found in what I've worked on specifically for widgets:
 https://github.com/xwp/wp-customize-widgets-plus/blob/0.2/php/class-
 efficient-multidimensional-setting-sanitizing.php