[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32445: `is_callable()` should be checked in `do_shortcode_tag()`, not `add_shortcode()`

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 14 19:06:24 UTC 2015

#32445: `is_callable()` should be checked in `do_shortcode_tag()`, not
`add_shortcode()`
----------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  wonderboymusic  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new
Changes (by nacin):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-refresh => has-patch

Comment:

 Yeah, moving `add_shortcode()` calls to default-filters.php will break
 things in weird situations, like including a few random files outside of
 WordPress. I'm not saying we should ever support that (and I often argue,
 such as in the `SHORTINIT` situations, that we should not), but in this
 case, the only functions called in default-filters.php are `add_action()`
 and `add_filter()` (and `is_admin()`). It should stay that way.

 I'd agree with moving them out of here, but it should probably go to some
 kind of `shortcodes_init()` like widgets and other things. Moving them too
 late could break plugins that currently remove them pretty early, however.
 Kind of stuck here.

 I do like the callback change here, though.

 (Random thought, if anyone wants to have some fun, we should rewrite the
 API to use hooks under the hood, and ditch `$shortcode_tags`. And then
 break everyone reaching directly into `$shortcode_tags`.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32445#comment:3>