[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the latest comments

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jun 13 16:06:39 UTC 2015

#29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the
latest comments
 Reporter:  mark-k        |       Owner:  obenland
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by arikg):

 Replying to [comment:4 peterwilsoncc]:
 > I suspect this is by design but I can't find anything on trac.
 >
 > Currently, each page of comments has a permalink - a link to comment
 page two will always show comments 6 through 10, regardless of the order
 set in the discussion settings.

 http://example.com/?p=149&cpage=3#comment-55

 > Comment permalinks are important. Making a change to show a full set of
 comments when displaying the last page first has a two of possible
 effects:

 > * Comment permalinks are not, as they may change cpage, or,
 > * Pagination is broken. Clicking older comments would repeat some
 comments the visitor has already seen.

 > Up for discussion as to what is the least sub-optimal.

 BTW, if you don't care about permalinks for some reason than the solution
 is quite simple. You simply reverse the order of comments (can be done
 with https://wordpress.org/plugins/reverse-order-comments/) and then in
 discussion settings you choose to show the "first" comments but because
 you already reversed the order, you will actually get the last comments.
 Everything works perfect with this method except the permalinks... the no
 point to the reversed comment.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29462#comment:6>