[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32345: ssh2/sftp doesn't work in chrooted environments, FTP_BASE, FTP_CONTENT_DIR, FTP_PLUGIN_DIR not available

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 12 10:41:05 UTC 2015

#32345: ssh2/sftp doesn't work in chrooted environments, FTP_BASE, FTP_CONTENT_DIR,
FTP_PLUGIN_DIR not available
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  aberbenni       |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:11 bondnono]:
 > Unfortunately, your solution does not fix the problem, I still get the
 "Unable to locate WordPress Content directory (wp-content)." error.

 Can you enable some extra debug for me to get some information about what
 WordPress is seeing? I'd appreciate it so that hopefully WordPress will
 just work for the next person who encounters your configuration
 - Can you set WP_Filesystem_Base::$verbose to true in wp-admin/includes
 /class-wp-filesystem-base.php, and post the extra debug that is then shown
 when attempting the update?
 - Can you send me the debug data from this plugin?
 https://dd32.id.au/files/wp-filesystem-tester.zip (dion [at]
 wordpress.org, or the other email it will give you in the plugin)

 > But it doesn't really surprises me as the whole concept of jailing a
 user is to make it unaware of the environment it is in.
 That's a problem we face on almost every single WordPress installation
 which uses FTP, it's a solved problem, that's why I've focused on fixing
 it instead.
 Almost no FTP server is setup so as to present the entire filesystem, just
 a small slice of it - exactly the same thing that jailing a SSH user
 achieves, One angle has been fixed, but I guess there's a second aspect to
 it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32345#comment:12>