[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32345: FTP_BASE, FTP_CONTENT_DIR, FTP_PLUGIN_DIR are not considered when using built in ssh2/sftp

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 9 07:52:24 UTC 2015

#32345: FTP_BASE, FTP_CONTENT_DIR, FTP_PLUGIN_DIR are not considered when using
built in ssh2/sftp
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  aberbenni          |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |      Status:  new
Changes (by dd32):

 * component:  Upgrade/Install => Filesystem API

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:6 bondnono]:
 > > Jailing users is supported, and definitely works on FTP
 > Yes indeed, but who uses FTP anymore?! It is insecure and there are way
 better alternatives nowaday (you could argue that FTP could be faster, but
 really, we now have computers fast enough not to even notice the
 difference).

 The important part that I missed from my reply, was the underlying
 transport of FTP or SSH doesn't matter here - the code to find the
 directories doesn't even know if it's FTP or sFTP, using the Plugin allows
 us to find what is faulty - a) the code to locate the directories, b) the
 SSH transport / the SSH extension, orc) something server-side in the ssh
 server

 > I haven't tried the plugin, but it is not really the point of this
 ticket, is it?
 It'll rule out my suspected issue of it being caused by a faulty PHP SSH
 extension, which happens all too often - often enough that I've suggested
 removing the feature from WordPress all together into a separate plugin -
 #16925 (although in a perfect world everyone using the ssh extension would
 switch to the before mentioned plugin instead)

 > From my perspective, it is not a bug nor a conflict, it is more an
 omission. The issue is that there is a string comparison trying to find
 "ftp" in the protocol name before considering the FTP_BASE,
 FTP_CONTENT_DIR and FTP_PLUGIN_DIR constants.

 That is also a legitimate bug, but I was taking it from the aspect of
 "these constants exist as a all-else-fails scenario, the first step is to
 determine why they're needed on a platform" - and historically so far no-
 one using the sFTP(SSH) transport has needed them, as it more-or-less
 works as a direct filesystem connection. Unlike FTP which is notoriously
 bad with different servers representing the filesystem in new and amazing
 ways.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32345#comment:7>