[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27177: Child themes should inherit parent theme customizer settings on activation / switching

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 25 14:20:29 UTC 2015

#27177: Child themes should inherit parent theme customizer settings on activation
/ switching
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  krogsgard    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by jenniferncastro):

 I am new to the WordPress World and I am not going to pretend I know all
 the internal discussions. My view is purely from an "outsider" looking in.
 As a user of WordPress it really sucks to have used customize to make a
 bunch of changes to the theme "make" then find out best practice say's to
 use a child theme to further edit the css.  At first I was like okay great
 everyone says to use a child theme how hard can that be? Well after
 piecing together sources across the web I was finally successful in
 getting the child theme installed BUT then I realized "hey, none of my
 settings in customize carried over"...hmm ok how hard can that be to find
 solution for? Well, okay here is code right here I will just try
 that....oh, wait I have Godaddy managed hosting (I know maybe that is my
 biggest mistake, but that is for another discussion).  I can't change the
 files I need to in order to carry over all my customize settings.  Now I
 am left with re-doing all the changes I already made in customize in the
 child theme only this time around I am going to skip the customize and
 edit the css directly.   Did not mean to be long-winded my point is this:

 The customize panel at the very least should include some kind of warning
 that if down the road you decide to use a child theme your settings you
 made in customize are not going to carry over to the child theme and you
 are better off creating the child theme then either editing the css
 directly or using the customize panel at that point.

 As a reg lover and user of WordPress, I would love to see it standard
 practice for themes to come with a parent theme and child theme bundled
 together.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27177#comment:16>