[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32769: Customizer Menus: Setting sanitization innefficiencies resulting in severe performance slowdowns

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 14 01:13:38 UTC 2015

#32769: Customizer Menus: Setting sanitization innefficiencies resulting in severe
performance slowdowns
-------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter              |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 It seems qualitatively better with the patch. Note that there were a
 couple merge conflicts with the docs changes in the setting class. Unless
 you see any red flags, I'd commit this (fixing the merge issue), given the
 quantitative improvements you found.

 We should probably wait on lazy-loading settings for a future release, and
 pair that change with UI adjustments that make the animation smoother and
 potentially show loading indicators while settings are loaded. Note that
 the controls are already lazy-loaded for menu items, which is very
 effective (it typically takes 2-3 seconds to load my massive 350-item
 menu, which happens when you open that menu, not when you open the
 Customizer). I think I put a patch to do the same for all controls on
 #28580, but I'd like to do #30738 and #30741 before making that change, as
 those tickets would result in small performance improvements that could be
 magnified in terms of actual UI speed when all controls and settings are
 lazy-loaded on an as-needed basis. Could probably be done in 4.4.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32769#comment:13>