[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32821: Customizer Menus: Difficulties when reordering menu items by Dragging and Dropping

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 1 05:34:19 UTC 2015

#32821: Customizer Menus: Difficulties when reordering menu items by Dragging and
Dropping
 Reporter:  ahortin       |       Owner:  adamsilverstein
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Unfortunately adding margins back is a no-go for a few reasons.

 Most relevantly, the margins were identified as confusing the visual
 representation of hierarchy(which was previously addressed by adding the
 "sub item" text to all child menu items). Simply put, with margins, it's
 much more difficult to understand and even see where submenus are. Then
 there are also the more cosmetic issues of it looking better visually and
 allowing many more items to be visible on the screen at a time. The
 separation between the boxes doesn't serve any useful purpose here except
 potentially for this bug. We've designed the whole interface and done all
 of our recent testing with the no-margins view; reverting that would be a
 significant design change that is very likely to open a can of worms and
 leave us in a worse place overall.

 So instead, we need to track down this bug. I haven't dug into this code,
 but it seems like it should definitely be fixable. Currently based on the
 gif, it looks like vertical and horizontal positioning are not being
 properly distinguished when determining the drop position. I have a hunch
 that the issue may be related to the drop position being based on the top
 of the menu item handle rather than basing it on the center of that
 element. @adamsilverstein can you keep digging into this?

 If possible horizontal dragging within a vertical tolerance of +/- 50% of
 the menu item handle height should trigger submenu behaviors and vertical
 dragging with the vertical center of one menu item going higher/lower than
 the center of the adjacent item should trigger vertical dropping, with the
 two working together at the same time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32821#comment:8>