[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30778: Extend WP_Query to allow for querys of posts with attachments with certain metadata

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 12 20:42:24 UTC 2015

#30778: Extend WP_Query to allow for querys of posts with attachments with certain
metadata
----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  pampfelimetten  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  closed
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 An interesting idea, but I'm not sure I see the value. If the idea is that
 the child_query will accept all params of `WP_Query`, then I suppose the
 internals would work like this: a secondary `WP_Query` object would be
 fired up, and either the SQL would be retrieved and put into a
 `$wpdb->posts.ID IN` subquery on the main query, or the matching IDs would
 be fetched and parsed into `post__in`. Either way, you're saving little to
 no computational overhead. And if you're forced to assemble what amounts
 to a new array of query vars for 'child_query', then you're not really
 saving much time in PHP either. This would do the same thing:

 {{{
 $attachment_query = new WP_Query( array(
     'post_type' => 'attachment',
     'post_status' => 'inherit',
     'posts_per_page' => '-1',
     'post_mime_type' => 'audio',
     'update_post_meta_cache' => false,
     'update_post_term_cache' => false,
 ) );

 $post_ids = wp_list_pluck( $attachment_query->posts );

 $main_query = new WP_Query( array(
     'post_type' => 'post',
     'post_status' => 'publish',
     's' => 'searchtext',
     'post__in' => $post_ids,
 ) );
 }}}

 IMO, this is just as readable as the proposed 'child_query', and produces
 no overhead beyond what would presumably be required for 'child_query'.

 Closing as wontfix, though if I've misunderstood, or if you have more
 details on how the proposed feature would be a significant improvement on
 the above, please feel free to reopen with those details.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30778#comment:1>