[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30950: French translations with shortcode using parameter values wrapped with double-quotes not parsing correctly

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 8 14:32:40 UTC 2015

#30950: French translations with shortcode using parameter values wrapped with
double-quotes not parsing correctly
 Reporter:  cais          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Shortcodes    |    Version:  4.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I'm not exactly sure how best to describe this but see below for
 additional details including how I was able to reproduce.

 As it is, I have test a few different plugins by a few different authors
 and found when a WordPress installation is set to use the "Francais"
 (forgive the lack of accents) most if not all shortcodes will have their
 parameters wrapped in "double-quotes" change to at least the first being a
 "double-right-arrow".

 To the best of my understanding the "double-right-arrow" is correct as far
 as the translation itself is concerned (and should be followed by a
 closing "double-left-arrow", which is not necessarily the case I am seeing
 in my "visual" testing).

 Also to note, the plugin itself does not need to necessarily have a French
 language translation available.

 To reproduce, use any shortcode implementing parameter values wrapped in
 double-quotes and switch the site's default language to French. At a
 minimum the first "double-quote" will be changed to a "double-right-arrow"
 and the shortcode will not parse correctly. Also to note, the underlying
 "code" as viewed in the Text tab of TinyMCE (or even as automatically
 produced by `the_excerpt`) will display the original version of the
 shortcode as written.

 PS: This may be "known" to a certain extent per @nacin.