[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31468: SSL errors/warning when "pressing" an HTTPS URL to PT hosted on an HTTP-only host

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 26 18:59:00 UTC 2015

#31468: SSL errors/warning when "pressing" an HTTPS URL to PT hosted on an HTTP-
only host
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  stephdau      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Press This    |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+-----------------------
 @helen brought up that trying to press something like a Youtube page,
 which is SSL by default now, to Press This hosted on a non-SSL URL leads
 to (at least) Firefox telling the user that they are submitting data to a
 non-encrypted location (because we use a form POST). The user can allow
 for it, but it's annoying, as well as leads the new Press This window to
 lose its forefront focus, hiding it behind the source.

 Other browsers let this pass, likely because we're in a bookmarklet
 context, but still show warning in their consoles.

 The proper way to deal with this issue is to not use a form submit in this
 case. Instead, we should default to passing the basic meta data (title,
 selection, url), and let PT rely on its server-side media detection
 instead. This is fine with Firefox and other browsers.

 Attached patch does this, as well as use `window.focus()` when the popup
 is loaded, for good measure.