[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31420: license.txt and readme.html being unwritable shouldn't block a Background Update

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 23 12:00:58 UTC 2015

#31420: license.txt and readme.html being unwritable shouldn't block a Background
Update
-----------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32             |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  3.7
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+----------------------------
 As one of the preflight checks we perform before performing a background
 update, we check that every file that changed in the update is writable.
 As it turns out, `readme.html` and `license.txt` are sometimes unwritable
 while all other files are writable. For an Installed version of WordPress,
 neither of these files contains information which strictly needs keeping
 up to date (`license.txt` changes should only ever be date changes, and
 `readme.html` changes should only be a version number bump).

 Proposal - If only `license.txt` & `readme.html` are unwritable, proceed
 with the update and skip the files.
 Complications - Some languages include a translated license and readme,
 such as `liesmich.html`(de_DE) and `licenza.html`(it_IT)
 Counter proposal - Don't require `*.txt` or `*.html` to be writable if
 they exist in the root directory (As we're not adding any other root
 files, and these are the only few that exist at present).

 The code to check these files are writable exists within `wp-
 admin/includes/update-core.php` so we also have the ability to backport
 this fix to a minor release.