[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes in wp_options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 10 00:00:58 UTC 2015

#31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes
in wp_options
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new

Comment (by archon810):

 Correct me if I'm wrong but:

 - The key here is user agent, which does change as you keep updating
 browsers (browser versions update pretty often these days). If you add a
 dozen writers and Firefox/Chrome variations, you end up with a lot.
 - Transients are only cleaned up upon access, which means old browser
 entries are going to stick around forever.

 I think this shows a larger problem with options, which is the lack of
 namespace if you will, so that wp-admin options load in threads used by
 all users, as well as lack of transient cleanup, which I think is a larger
 issue.

 Finally, I'm not sure that a generic rule like autoload = yes if there's
 an expiration date without exceptions is good practice. In this case, for
 example, it should be set to autoload=no as it's not used in 99.999% of
 queries.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31277#comment:2>